Child Custody Lawyer Bloomington IL
A seasoned child custody lawyer Bloomington IL parents depend on understands how stressful any child custody issues can be. Anything that might threaten your relationship with your child can cause great emotional distress. Here at Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols, each Bloomington child custody lawyer has extensive legal experience in dealing with custody issues and will work diligently to obtain the best legal outcome for you and your family.
How Do Courts Determine Custody?
Although each custody case is unique, there are common questions that a child custody lawyer Bloomington IL families hire hear very often from clients. One of the most common questions is, “What factors does the court consider in order to determine final custody?”
The number one priority a judge has when deciding custody is to determine what is in the best interest of the child. Although most parents want the best for their children, when they are involved in a custody fight they don’t always agree with what is the best interest for their child. Some of the factors that a judge may examine to make his or her decision include:
- The child’s age: The younger the child, the more likely it is that there will be consistent custody and parenting time scheduled. If a child is older, the judge may be more open to flexible parenting time schedules.
- Quality of parent/child relationship: It is important that the child have a strong and healthy relationship with the parent. If there are issues that the judge feels are detrimental to the child, there may be limits put on how much parenting time is allowed.
- Stable environment: Many parents go through a child custody evaluation to help the court determine if the parent will provide a loving and stable home life for the child. These evaluations are conducted by mental health professionals.
- Health: The judge will also consider both the mental and physical health of both parents and the child and whether or not there are any issues such as substance abuse that would affect parenting of the child.
- Living accommodations: The court will examine the home situation of each parent, as well as their ability to provide for the child’s emotional, physical, and medical needs. Keep in mind, however, this does not necessarily mean the parent who makes more money will get custody.
- Majority of care: If one parent has been providing most of the care for the child up until custody papers were filed, then the court may consider that a determining factor, especially when trying to keep consistency in the child’s life.
A child custody lawyer Bloomington IL locals depend on knows other factors the judge may consider the individual parents’ wishes for custody, the child’s wishes for custody, and how likely one parent might encourage the child to foster a relationship with the other parent.
Contact a Child Custody Lawyer Bloomington IL Families Recommend
If you are facing a child custody battle and would like to meet with an experienced child custody lawyer in Bloomington IL, the legal team at Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols are available to meet and discuss the details of your case. We can also help when issues come up with existing child custody orders and modifications may be needed.
Call a compassionate child custody lawyer Bloomington IL today at (309) 821-0246 for your free consultation.
“Friendly, and knowledgeable. Joe made the bankruptcy process less stressful. My wife and I are happy we went with him.”