The Star-Tribune reported the tragic and preventable death of Gary A. Schmidt from reckless administration of medications at North Ridge Health and Rehabilitation nursing home. Schmidt was given a dose of oxycodone that was 20 times too strong and caused the death of the short-term resident. He was only 53 years old.
Schmidt was found on the floor at North Ridge Health and Rehabilitation and was dead by the time paramedics arrived the morning of April 2, 2017, according to results of the state Health Department’s investigation. North Ridge Health and Rehabilitation is owned and operated by Mission Health, a for profit chain from Florida.
Investigators found that a nurse administered 30 milliliters instead of 30 milligrams which is at least 20 times too much of the narcotic. In an interview with a state investigator five days after the overdose, the nurse said “she did not verify the concentration and dose of the oxycodone administered because she was very busy with multiple patients.”