The Duluth News Tribune and Twin Cities Pioneer Press had articles on the tragic death of a resident at Bethel Care Center. When a St. Paul nursing home resident’s ventilator tube became detached and sounded an alarm during a worship service at the facility last summer, there weren’t any nursing staff around to help, according to a report by the Minnesota Department of Health. Staff didn’t notice the detached tube for an hour, at which point it was too late to save the resident, the report said.
According to the Health Department:
Around 2 p.m. on July 16, 2017, the resident was brought to a church service in the nursing home. His ventilator was functioning properly. Two minutes later, his ventilator alarm sounded. A pastoral staff member claimed to hear the alarm, but he or she had previously been instructed to ignore it. About an hour later, the same staff member noted poor color in the resident and called for help.
Nursing staff arrived, reconnected the tubing and called emergency services. At 3:36 p.m., emergency medical services pronounced the resident dead. The resident’s cause of death was listed as asphyxia due to disconnection of the ventilator tubing. The resident physician said he had recently examined the man and thought it unlikely he would have died otherwise, the report said.