Birth Injury Lawyer Bloomington, IL
Birth Injury Lawyer Bloomington, IL
A birth injury lawyer that Bloomington, IL residents respect and admire knows that birth injuries are one of the most devastating and painful things a family can go through. The arrival of a child is one of the best experiences for parents. Finding out that a complication during the labor and delivery process occurred is the last thing that parents want to hear. When medical workers are negligent and fail to ensure the safety of the mother and child during birth, an investigation is necessary. During such incidents of medical malpractice, families have the legal right to file a claim. A trusted Bloomington, IL birth injury lawyer like one from Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols has the knowledge and resources available to help you during each step of the process.
Birth Injury Lawyer in Bloomington, IL
As one of the more complex categories of personal injury cases, a certain subset of lawyers are equipped to handle birth injury cases. They must have a strong understanding of laws and regulations governing hospitals and know how to navigate the intricate healthcare system. Any case that involves medical malpractice consists of many elements. It is recommended that you work with a skilled lawyer who specializes in helping clients who have been affected by birth injuries.
Cases that center on medical malpractice are challenging to take on, and only knowledgeable and experienced attorneys are capable of achieving successful outcomes for their clients. With over 80 years of legal experience, the attorneys at Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols have handled many birth injury cases and assisted clients in recovering compensation for the damages they suffered. Birth injury lawyers are familiar with the specific areas of law and understand the filing process and the necessary requirements. They know how to determine the best investigative strategies so that you can receive a fair settlement. If necessary, they will represent you if a case goes to trial and aggressively fight for your rights.
Common Birth Injuries in Newborns
If you have recently welcomed a new baby into your world, you are probably over the moon. You are looking forward to the journey that you will have with your new child. Unfortunately, there are some situations where babies could be born with birth injuries. The first thing you should do is talk to your doctor about how to treat the injury. Then, you should count on a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL, such as a member of Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols, to investigate the circumstances of the case. What are a few examples of possible birth injuries?
Brain Bleeds and Skull Fractures
Some babies suffer a head injury on their way out of the birth canal. Perhaps there are unusual instruments used during the birthing process. Maybe the baby’s skull is too big to fit through the pelvis. There are numerous head injuries that babies could suffer during birth. Some babies could suffer a skull fracture while other babies might develop a brain bleed. Even though many babies will recover without any complications, there are some babies that could develop permanent disabilities.
A Fractured Clavicle
There are also situations where a baby could fracture his or her clavicle. Sometimes, the baby is in an awkward position on his or her way out of the birth canal. It might require a lot of maneuvering to get the baby out. In this case, the arm could get twisted, leading to a clavicle fracture. Even though a lot of clavicle injuries will heal without any complications, there are others that could lead to major issues. Count on a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL who can investigate this on your behalf.
A Nerve Injury
Sadly, there are some babies that could develop permanent complications due to a nerve injury. Some of the most common examples of nerve injuries that babies could suffer include Erb’s palsy and Klumpke’s palsy. If your baby has been diagnosed with a nerve injury, you should reach out to an attorney who can review your case.
Count on a Birth Injury Lawyer
Even though there are plenty of births that are completed without any complications, there are some situations where babies could sustain a serious injury during the birthing process. First, make sure you talk to a doctor about the treatment plan. Then, reach out to a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL, such as a layer from Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols, who can help you.
Common Types of Birth Injuries
Many complications can arise during labor and delivery. There are many unexpected issues that can occur, and it can be hard to anticipate every situation despite how prepared a medical team may be. However, there are complications during birth that could have been preventable had doctors and medical professionals taken the right actions. Birth injuries can impact a child’s cognitive and physical development, and can result in medical conditions that can affect them for the rest of their life. When birth injuries occur, it can be considered medical malpractice. Below are some of the most types of birth injuries that a lawyer may evaluate:
- Hypoxia (lack of oxygen)
- Brain injury
- Nerve damage
- Swelling in the head
- Forceps injury
- Umbilical cord injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Internal bleeding
Compensation for Medical Malpractice Claims
Victims can seek compensation for different types of damages in a medical malpractice case that involves a birth injury. A birth injury lawyer can explain how exactly they will demand compensation and the amount can vary widely from case to case. There are a number of ways compensation or settlement can be achieved. They will pursue the responsible parties involved so the highest compensation that the law allows can be obtained. Clients may be entitled to receive compensation for such things as:
- Past and future medical bills
- Rehabilitative services
- Medical devices and equipment
- Overall pain and suffering
Birth Injury Frequently Asked Questions
If your child fell victim to a birth injury, it’s perfectly understandable to have a lot of questions. Here are the answers to a few commonly asked questions related to birth injuries.
What Is the Difference Between a Birth Defect and a Birth Injury?
The main difference between a birth defect and a birth injury is that a birth defect happens in utero, while a birth injury happens during the birthing process. Birth defects can have a number of causes, but in most cases, birth defects are the result of genetics. In contrast, a birth injury is due to the events of the birthing process. A birth injury that can be attributed to a medical provider’s negligence is the main reason you should contact a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs when an injury or harm befalls a patient due to the negligence of a medical professional or facility. For example, a birth injury that is the direct result of your provider’s negligence falls under the scope of medical malpractice.
Do Birth Injuries Appear Right Away?
Unfortunately, many birth injuries may not be apparent for months after a child is born. Certain symptoms may appear immediately, such as bulges on the head, difficulty suckling, or seizures. However, other common signs of birth injuries may take longer to appear.
These signs include:
- Missed developmental milestones, such as walking
- Difficulty with physical activities
- Speech delays
- Cerebral Palsy
Your child’s doctor and a birth injury lawyer at Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols can help you determine whether the symptoms your child is exhibiting may be indicative of a birth injury.
Can Birth Injuries Be Treated or Cured?
In some cases, birth injuries can be treated or cured with therapy or surgery. For example, it’s possible a speech delay may be corrected with speech or occupational therapy. More extreme cases that result in ailments such as cerebral palsy can receive palliative care, but these conditions have no cure.
How Will I Know If I Need a Lawyer?
If you suspect your baby was injured during birth, don’t hesitate to find legal assistance. A birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL, such as those at Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols, are on hand to answer all of your questions and to help guide you. A lawyer will be able to look over your information, listen to your story, and tell you whether or not your case is a birth injury.
Contact A Trusted Lawyer for Legal Services
Medical malpractice claims where birth injuries are at the focus can be challenging to handle. Seek the professional advice and support of a compassionate and skilled lawyer who will address all your concerns and needs. A legal team familiar with helping clients with birth injury cases can provide you the attention, support and quality legal services that you need. They understand that as a client dealing with the aftermath of birth injury, it is a painful and challenging experience. You may feel unsure of how to move forward. They will take the time to listen to you and make sure that they collect the full facts and evidence so that they have a solid understanding of your case details. To learn how you can obtain their legal services and gain a solid understanding of your options, consult with a lawyer soon before it’s too late. Schedule a case evaluation with a reputable bankruptcy lawyer that Bloomington, Illinois residents rely on for their financial issues can assist you with your case.
When you trust a dedicated and experienced legal team to assist you with navigating a birth injury case, you can boost your chances of recovering the compensation that you deserve. If you are struggling financially if you or your child suffered a birth injury, don’t hesitate to speak to a lawyer and discuss your options. Call at Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols is a premier criminal defense law firm with offices in Eureka and Bloomington IL.
Common Myths About Birth Injury Cases
A birth injury can quickly turn a joyous day into a traumatic event. The birth of your child should be a day full of celebration. If a doctor or hospital staff member committed negligence that resulted in harm to you or your child, you have a right to take action. If your child suffered a birth injury because of medical negligence, your family may be entitled to receive compensation. Don’t let the following myths prevent you from filing a claim.
- Birth Injuries Always Occur Because of Genetic Issues: While some birth injuries result from genetic issues, it’s definitely not always the case. Many birth injuries are caused by medical mistakes during the labor and delivery process. Examples of these mistakes include incorrect use of forceps not performing a C-section when it’s necessary.
- The Doctor Couldn’t Have Done Anything to Prevent the Birth Injury: In many cases, this isn’t true. If they are not attentive throughout the whole process, they may miss issues that may occur. If a doctor constantly monitors the mother and baby during the labor and delivery process, he or she can catch potential issues quicker.
- My Child’s Injury Isn’t Serious Enough to File a Lawsuit: Just because your child suffered a minor injury during the labor and delivery process, doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t at least speak to a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL. The injury may be minor, but if it was caused by the negligent actions of a medical professional you may have grounds to file a claim. Some minor birth injuries can turn into bigger problems when a child gets older. It is worth consulting with a seasoned lawyer to at least determine if you have a valid case.
- It’s Too Late to File a Birth Injury Lawsuit: Unfortunately, some people avoid filing a lawsuit for their child’s birth injury because they think too much time has passed. However, in the state of Illinois, you actually have eight years from the time of the injury to pursue a legal claim. It can sometimes take a while to recognize that your child suffered an injury during birth. Some injuries or complications do not develop until well after the day of birth. If your child has suffered a birth injury, you should inquire about your options and see if you are eligible to receive compensation.
- It Isn’t Worth it to File a Lawsuit Because It Won’t Undo My Child’s Injury: While it’s true that filing a legal claim won’t take away your child’s injury, it can lessen some of the burden. You may be able to recover compensation that you are entitled to. Treating a birth injury can get very expensive. For many birth injury victims, the financial cost of treatment can be staggering especially if they have developed a serious condition. If you file a claim with the help of a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL, you can obtain compensation to afford these medical costs.
- It’s Impossible to Prove Negligence: Some people shy away from filing a birth injury lawsuit because they believe there’s no way to prove negligence. Fortunately, this isn’t true. If you hire an experienced birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL, you have a higher chance of proving negligence and having a successful claim. He or she will have access to birth injury experts that will help your case move forward.
What Is A Birth Injury Lawyer in Bloomington, IL?
Birth injury lawyers help to pursue legal justice for families affected by avoidable birth injuries.
Birth injuries fall under a really specific location of personal injury law. Unlike other injuries (such as vehicle accidents), birth injuries may not appear till months or years after the fact. In addition, many distressing birth injuries might have been prevented with appropriate treatment.
Moms and dads never anticipate giving birth to hurt their child. And while some birth injuries are mild, others can leave children handicapped for the rest of their lives.
Because of these facts, birth injury attorneys can help households in a number of different ways.
A Birth Injury Lawyer in Blooming, Illinois Can
- Construct a case versus the medical professionals or nurses who provided the child
- Submit the case within the proper law court
- Gather supporting evidence, consisting of witness statements and medical records
- Assist families receive financial settlement
Financial settlement can cover long-lasting medical costs for a child’s birth injury treatment. Some birth injury cases award millions of dollars to families struggling with the impacts of extreme birth injuries.
Could Your Child’s Birth Injury Have Been Prevented?
While each case is different, some birth injuries might have been avoided with appropriate healthcare.
Medical professionals have years– if not decades– of experience delivering children. They should understand how to securely prevent birth injuries or the dangerous conditions that may cause them.
Regrettably, healthcare experts often make quickly avoidable errors that cause birth injuries. When this occurs, it might be thought about medical malpractice.
Birth Injuries and Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice is not like a little medical mistake. Physicians are trained to supply a high requirement to take care of their clients. When healthcare providers are negligent with their care, there is a higher risk for birth injuries.
Medical Mistakes Leading to Birth Injuries Consist Of:
- Stopping working to diagnose an infection in the mom or fetus
- Improperly administering medications
- Incorrectly utilizing forceps or vacuum extractors throughout delivery
- Utilizing extreme force to provide a child, causing physical harm
Birth injuries can put unforeseen financial and psychological problems on families. Birth injury attorneys can assist families pursue legal justice and secure monetary settlement through settlements.
Birth injuries fall under an extremely specific area of personal injury law. Unlike other injuries (such as vehicle mishaps), birth injuries may not be obvious till months or years after the fact. In addition, lots of distressing birth injuries could have been avoided with correct medical care.
Medical malpractice is not the same as a small medical mistake. When health care providers are negligent with their care, there is a greater risk for birth injuries.
Call a trusted Bloomington, IL birth injury lawyer like one from Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols today to receive the help you deserve.
Forceps Injuries? We Can Help.
Childbirth should be one of the greatest moments of our lives, but sometimes it’s necessary to contact a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, Illinois.
There are many reasons a mother or her child can experience a birth injury, whether through untrained staff or improper procedures. While no amount of money can really compensate for the pain and suffering experienced by a newborn, medical professionals should be held accountable for their actions and financial compensation can give your child the future they deserve.
Giving birth to a child is not easy, and sometimes medical intervention is unavoidable. Some methods are more extreme, (such as surgery) and other methods are more simple. A medical team has limited time to determine the steps to take to ensure a smooth and safe delivery. In some cases, a baby needs just a little extra help to come into this world, and that’s why forceps exist.
What Is A Forceps Delivery?
At their most basic, forceps are a medical instrument that resemble salad tongs. They’re used to assist a baby by fitting around the baby’s head, and when timed properly with contractions, a healthcare professional will pull the baby using the forceps. They’re a necessary tool in the delivery room, and are used frequently – especially if the baby’s life is on the line.
Forceps are safe – for the most part. They require an experienced and steady hand, which means an experienced and steady medical professional. Unfortunately, if your medical specialist is improperly prepared or untrained, forceps can cause injury to your baby.
Some of the most common injuries associated with a forceps delivery are relatively minor: Scratches or bruises, for example. However, it’s important to remember that even minor injuries can affect a child’s development, and no infant should have to enter into this world in pain.
Perhaps more frighteningly, forceps deliveries can result in eye injuries and skull fractures. They can even cause seizures in some cases, seriously hampering your child’s development and potentially causing long-term medical problems. Childbirth is difficult and challenging for everyone involved, but causing injury to your child is inexcusable. Fortunately, a birth injury in Bloomington, IL, can help you and your child get the justice you deserve.
Reach Out to Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols
At Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols, we know that childbirth should be a special moment. We also know that certain inexperienced or incompetent medical professionals have no place in the delivery room with you and your baby. If you believe that a birth injury was caused by negligence, you should mention your concern to a trusted lawyer. They will be able to review your case and look for any errors that your medical team may have made.
Although forceps deliveries are sometimes a necessity, any injury to your child should be scrutinized, and no harm should go unpunished. Your child deserves the best shot at a happy, healthy future, and if he or she has been injured because of improper use of forceps (or any other medical mistake), you should seek compensation with the help of an experienced lawyer.
Not all birth injury cases need to end in tragic or long-lasting injuries. Money won’t make up for any injuries to your child, but it can help with recovery and with long-term care. Reach out to Piloletti Pioletti & Nichols today: With help from the right team of birth injury lawyers in Bloomington, IL, you can reshape your child’s future.
Qualities to Look for in a Birth Injury Lawyer
If your child suffered a birth injury due to a doctor’s negligence, it is important to have a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL on your side. A lawyer can improve your chances of receiving a fair settlement. However, with so many lawyers out there, choosing the right lawyer can be overwhelming. Here are a few qualities you should look for in a birth injury lawyer.
- Proper experience. Specific experience is the first quality you should look for in a birth injury lawyer. Just because a lawyer practices personal injury law, does not mean that he or she has handled many birth injury cases. Birth injuries are a very complex subset of medical malpractice. That is why it is essential to work with a lawyer who has dealt with multiple birth injury cases in the past.
- A good record of success. A birth injury can result in astronomical medical bills, so obtaining a fair settlement is of the utmost importance. That is why it is important to hire a lawyer who has a good track record for success. During your initial consultation, do not hesitate to ask how many cases he or she has won. Ideally, you want to work with a lawyer who has a history of obtaining sizeable settlements for their clients.
- Compassion. Finding out that your child suffered a birth injury because of a doctor’s negligence is a traumatic experience. You are worried about how the injury will affect your child for the rest of his or her life and how you will pay all the medical bills. As such, it is essential to work with a compassionate lawyer. He or she should understand that you’re going through a tough time and offer words of encouragement. If you know that your lawyer truly cares about your case, you may feel calmer.
- Honesty. It is also important to hire a birth injury lawyer who is honest. He or she should not just tell you what you want to hear. After reviewing your case, the lawyer should be able to give you an honest assessment. If there is not enough evidence to prove that the doctor was negligent, your lawyer should be able to tell you that. Be wary of lawyers who promise you big settlements in the beginning.
Are Birth Injuries Preventable?
Birth injuries occur at the time of birth due to the circumstances of the labor or delivery. They are not genetic conditions. In many cases, birth trauma is avoidable.
The doctor has a lot of control over making the right decisions to avoid any type of injury to the mother or baby, but mistakes, oversight or other issues can lead to the wrong choices that cause an injury. If you find yourself or your baby suffering from a birth injury, you should consider speaking with a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL.
Reasons They Happen
Birth injuries can occur for many reasons. The key to determining if it was an avoidable situation is understanding why it happened.
One common reason for trauma is the doctor was not properly monitoring the mother during labor and failed to see the signs of an issue. Babies who do not receive enough oxygen during labor and delivery can suffer severe brain injuries that leave lasting disabilities.
Another situation is a doctor who uses the wrong tools to deliver the baby. Forceps, for example, can be incredibly dangerous and open a baby up for head trauma.
A birth injury that may happen before labor is when a doctor prescribes the mother medications that are not made for use by pregnant women. They can lead to issues that harm the baby, such as premature delivery or uterine damage.
In general, birth injuries occur because a doctor is ignoring a mother’s concerns or not giving the mother and baby enough attention to catch issues early enough to prevent an injury. Sometimes, they are because of bad decisions the doctor makes during the pregnancy or during labor and delivery.
Common Preventable Injuries
There is a range of birth injuries, but some are more common than others. A birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL, can assist you with holding the doctor accountable for preventable injuries like the following ones.
- Birth asphyxia: A lack of oxygen due to various issues during labor and delivery.
- Erb’s palsy: Most common in mothers with small birth canals or with big babies that results in the baby getting stuck during delivery, causing nerve damage that results in paralysis in the arms.
- Infections transmitted by mother: Doctors should know the complete health of the mother to avoid transmitting infections from her to the baby during delivery.
- Fractures: Skull and clavicle fractures should not happen to a baby during delivery, but they may if the doctor does not control delivery and make good decisions based on known information.
- Cerebral palsy: Sometimes caused by a preventable infection in the mother prior to birth or mistakes made during delivery that impacts brain development.
It isn’t always immediately apparent that a birth injury was preventable. You should always consult with a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL, to see if your case equals malpractice.
Birth Injury Lawyer Bloomington, IL
One of the scariest things that can happen during birth is a birth injury and if you suspect this has occurred then don’t hesitate to reach out to a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL. Birth injuries don’t always show up right away. In fact, many signs and symptoms don’t present themselves directly after childbirth. There are some that can take years to show up, during the developmental stages of your child’s life.
The following list of symptoms are not conclusive of a birth injury, they can help you see if there are signs that one may have happened. These symptoms could be a warning sign that your child has developed a condition related to brain or nerve damage, such as cerebral palsy because of a birth injury. As always if you are worried contact your doctor. It is far better to be overly safe than brush something off that could be serious down the line.
Immediate Symptoms of a Birth Injury
Once again, it is important to remember that not all of these symptoms are signs of a birth injury. However, it is in your best interest to contact their doctor to make sure nothing is happening. The symptoms are as follows:
- Arched back while crying
- Difficulty suckling, eating, or swallowing
- Excessive drooling
- Hand curled into a claw-like shape
- Low heart rate
- Low oxygen levels
- Loose or stiff muscles
- Severe sensitivity to light
- Weak reflexes
Two of the most obvious signs a birth injury has happened are if there are seizures or skull fractures. These pose a serious threat to your child’s health and if left untreated can cause permanent brain damage.
Symptoms of a Birth Injury After a Year Old
Not all birth injuries are caught right after delivery, and some are only noticed as the child grows older. As your child grows older symptoms start to show in missing important developmental milestones or physical signs. Those are as follows:
- Blindness, deafness, or muteness
- Delay in speech development or comprehension
- Difficulty eating, drinking, or grasping utensils
- Difficulty walking or crawling
- Difficulty sitting, standing, walking, or crawling without assistance
- Lack of muscle control
- Loss of bodily movements
- Intellectual disabilities like low memory retention
- Poor hand-mouth coordination
- Poor hand-eye coordination
- Stiff muscles
- Tremors or shaking
If your child is displaying any of these symptoms it is best to consult your doctor to know what is going on. From there you will want to figure out if these symptoms could be from a birth injury or not. If they are, then talking to a birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL is in your best interest.
No one wants to go through the process of dealing with what happens after a birth injury. It is an emotional time and you shouldn’t have to fight the battle alone. If you or someone you love is dealing with a birth injury then don’t hesitate to reach out to Piloletti Pioletti & Nichols for a compassionate birth injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL who knows the laws and understands how difficult this can be.