Medical Malpractice Lawyer Bloomington, IL
Medical Malpractice Lawyer Bloomington, IL
A medical malpractice lawyer in Bloomington, IL, knows that if you need to get treated for an illness or urgent medical condition, you trust your doctor or another medical professional to treat your symptoms. In certain cases, however, a healthcare provider’s poor and inadequate treatment can lead to critical consequences for patients who were under their care. Doctors, nurses, or other healthcare professionals who fail to provide the proper care and treatment can put their patients at risk of suffering an injury or can cause their existing medical condition to deteriorate. If you or someone you know has been injured due to the negligence of a medical professional, hospital, or other healthcare institution, a qualified lawyer like one from Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols can evaluate your case details and suggest ways you can take legal action.
Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Bloomington, IL
From medication errors to surgical errors, medical malpractice is a broad topic that encompasses many types of negligence. Medical malpractice refers to anytime a physician, nurse, or healthcare professional commits actions that cause harm to a patient which they have a duty to care for. Examples of medical malpractice include failing to accurately diagnose an illness, treating a patient with subpar care, or prescribing the wrong medication dosage. Not all cases of negligence qualify as medical malpractice, so a lawyer will need to carefully examine your case and determine if it does. A lawyer must establish core elements in order to prove that negligent actions resulted in medical malpractice.
The main elements of medical malpractice claims can be broken down into:
- Duty. A duty owed to a patient.
- Breach. A breach of that duty.
- Causation. Injury that was directly caused by the breach.
- Damages. The injury resulted in damages.
How Medical Malpractice Is Determined
In medical malpractice cases, lawyers will examine what is known as the standard of care to determine if negligence contributed to a patient’s injury. The legal concept of standard of care is reviewed by lawyers to show whether a healthcare professional deviated from a level of care that other healthcare professionals would reasonably find acceptable. Standard of care definitions can vary from state to state, but a lawyer can explain how the standard of care is interpreted in your particular situation.
Because of the many risks and complexities involved, a lawyer must carefully evaluate a medical malpractice claim. Lawyers do not take every medical malpractice claim, only the ones that they believe have a high chance of success. There are many risks and expenses involved with medical malpractice claims. Factors such as high litigation costs and the intricate nature of the healthcare system make it challenging to navigate. Generally, lawyers with targeted experience and knowledge of the healthcare system can successfully achieve the best results for a medical malpractice claim.
With limited room for error, each detail must be critically scrutinized for accuracy to avoid a claim from getting dismissed. It only takes a minor error for a claim to get rejected. If a claim contains an error and it is caught at the last minute, there is no guarantee that the claim will be able to be corrected. There is a lot at stake in a medical malpractice case, so a Bloomington, IL medical malpractice lawyer needs to be especially skilled to achieve positive outcomes for their clients.
Leading Causes of Medical Malpractice
Several causes of medical malpractice include but are not limited to:
- Prescription or medication errors
- Diagnostic errors
- Surgical errors
- Failure to notice symptoms
- Failure to interpret test results correctly
- Not following established medical guidelines
Benefits of Hiring A Lawyer
To ensure you increase your chances of recovering maximum compensation for different types of damages, it is recommended that you seek legal assistance from a lawyer who has a positive track record of success in medical malpractice claims. They will be able to assist you with a variety of matters, such as filling out paperwork, reviewing your information, collecting evidence, negotiating with insurance companies, and communicating with the parties involved.
Legal Assistance Is Available
There is legal help available if you need urgent assistance regarding a complex medical malpractice claim. Contact a top medical malpractice lawyer in Bloomington, IL from Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols and request a consultation today.
Questions to Ask A Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you’re the victim of medical negligence, you should hire a medical malpractice lawyer in Bloomington, IL. We understand that the claims process can prompt many questions regarding your case. Prior to your first consultation with a lawyer, it is strongly recommended that you write down a full list of questions you want to raise. Having them written down will make your consultation more informative and helpful for everyone. To find out if a lawyer is the right person to represent you, ask the right questions. Here are a few questions you should ask during your consultation.
- Do You Have Extensive Medical Knowledge? It’s critical for a medical malpractice lawyer to possess vast knowledge about the medical field. He or she should stay up-to-date on research and policy changes in the field. This way, your lawyer will be able to dissect the opinions of medical experts. They will be able to ask the experts the right questions and obtain critical information that will support your case. Ask them what experience they have with the healthcare field and what the extent of their knowledge is. You will want to work with a lawyer who has a strong familiarity with how the healthcare field operates.
- How Many Cases Similar to Mine Have You Handled? From birth injuries to surgical errors, there are many types of medical malpractice cases. Not every medical malpractice lawyer has experience in the same type of cases. When you are doing research for a medical malpractice lawyer, ask them about the types of cases they have worked on and what results they have achieved. Ideally, you’ll want to work with a lawyer who has handled similar cases in the past. This way they will understand what approaches to use and which strategies will yield the best outcome.
- How Many Other Cases Are You Currently Handling? Before you hire a medical malpractice lawyer, you should find out about his or her current caseload. If a lawyer is managing a high caseload, he or she might not be able to give your case the attention it deserves. Some lawyers also have other legal professionals handle their cases. Make sure to ask the lawyer who exactly will be working on your case and how much time will be spent directly on your case. You want them to be able to give enough attention to it and have it resolved efficiently. When you’re dealing with a medical injury, you’d like to get your case settled as quickly as possible.
- Do You Have Trial Experience? While many medical malpractice cases get settled out of court, some of them go to trial. Cases may go to trial if there are certain issues, such as if the defending party is not being cooperative. If your lawyer has trial experience, they have a record of fighting even particularly complex cases. If the insurance company is refusing to offer you a fair settlement, it may be in your best interest to go to trial. That’s why it’s critical to find a medical malpractice lawyer in Bloomington, IL with extensive trial experience. He or she should feel comfortable standing in front of a judge and jury and arguing your case.
- What Are the Strengths and Weaknesses in My Case? It’s a good idea to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses in your medical malpractice case from the get-go. The lawyer should provide you with a detailed and honest assessment about the advantages and disadvantages that come with your case. After assessing the details of your case, a medical malpractice lawyer may be able to provide an evaluation of how your claim may play out.
- What Results Have You Achieved in Previous Cases? Before you select a medical malpractice lawyer in Bloomington, IL, you should find out how many cases he or she has won in the past. You should get a sense of what their accomplishments are like, and obtain information such as the amount of their previous settlements and what kind of clients they have successfully helped. The more successful cases a lawyer has had, the more likely he or she will do a good job on your case.
How Do I Know If I Need A Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
Not everything will be considered malpractice. Sometimes the best doctors can’t prevent something from going wrong. However, there are things that are easily preventable or had more time and care went into the procedure that an injury wouldn’t have happened.
You may need a medical malpractice lawyer if you’ve experienced any of the following:
- Caught an infection in the hospital or doctor’s office
- Been injured during a surgery
- Had the doctor fail to diagnose injury or disease either altogether or in a timely fashion
- Had anesthesia applied wrong
- Given wrong prescriptions
- Not given clear information of possible risks
If you think that you have had this happen then contacting a medical malpractice lawyer in Bloomington, IL, could be your best course of action.
What Your Lawyer Needs
Before you go in for your initial consultation the lawyer you are seeing needs to know everything about your potential medical malpractice case. They are going to want as much detail as possible in order to make this as easy as possible for you.
Any legal case is based on the facts, and medical malpractice lawsuits are no exception. By having all your details sorted already it makes the meeting smoother for both you and your lawyer.
Here are some of the things you need to have:
- Make a list of all your health care providers you’ve been with for the condition underlying for your claim
- Summarize your relevant medical treatment in writing
- Gather relevant correspondence and documents
- Makes a list of questions for the lawyer
- Decide what you are looking for in a medical malpractice lawyer
It can seem overwhelming at first but gathering these documents will save you time in the long run.
What Counts for Information?
When it comes to knowing what to write down from the list above it can seem like that would be too much to ask. However, it is all necessary for you to get the best outcome for your case.
Making A List of All Your Health Care Providers
Medical malpractice plaintiffs in general have seen many different health care providers over the course of the diagnosis. This can be anyone from your general practitioner to hospitals to therapists along the way. You’ll need all of this information as it will show who you saw for your condition. It will lay out all the different medical professionals and which ones were the ones helping you.
Summarizing Your Relevant Medical Treatment
You could probably write a book about your treatment and what has gone on. However, you don’t need an essay on what happened. What you need to do is focus on when the condition first happened, who you saw for it, what happened, what you think the medical professional did wrong in treating you, and who you saw to try and correct the problem created. It doesn’t have to be terribly long as you have the facts straight.
What Are Relevant Documents?
You’ve probably formed a decent stack of documentation over the time this has taken place. Not all of them are going to be needed but there are plenty that are. The ones that you should have are as follows:
- Any medical records and doctors
- Medical bills
- Photographs of your condition if possible
- Your health insurer information
- Any correspondence you’ve had with any insure involved in your claim
- Proof of lost earnings
These documents will make it easier for your lawyer to start working on a case rather than having to dig for them. If you are in need of a medical malpractice lawyer, don’t wait another day to learn about your options. A qualified lawyer from Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols knows that you need to be heard and they are all ears, and if you think you’ve suffered from medical malpractice then don’t hesitate to contact us.
Benefits of Hiring a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
If you suffered an injury while under a medical professional’s care, you have the right to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. However, you should not do so without legal assistance. Here are a few benefits of hiring a medical malpractice lawyer in Bloomington, IL.
- Know the true value of your claim. Very few medical malpractice victims know the true value of their claims. Therefore, they may undervalue their claim and accept low settlement offers from insurance companies. That is one good reason to have a skilled medical malpractice lawyer on your side. He or she has handled similar cases in the past and will know the actual value of your claim. Your lawyer will consider many factors, such as the cost of your medical expenses, expected cost of future medical bills and lost wages, before determining a dollar value.
- Assist with paperwork. Filing a medical malpractice lawsuit involves mountains of paperwork. When you are dealing with an injury, filling out all these documents may be overwhelming. You may not even understand all the complex legal terminology in the paperwork. If you hire a medical malpractice lawyer, he or she can help you fill out this paperwork and file it on time.
- Have access to resources. If you work with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer, you will also be able to take advantage of his or her resources. For example, your lawyer may know medical experts who can testify that your doctor was negligent when treating you. If the medical expert agrees that the doctor who treated you was negligent, you have a better chance of winning your case.
- Negotiate with the insurance company. When it comes to insurance companies, their bottom line is their first concern. They will stop at nothing to get out of paying you what you truly deserve. This is another good reason to have a skilled lawyer on your side. He or she knows how to negotiate with insurance companies and won’t let them take advantage of you.
- Speed up the process. A medical malpractice lawsuit can definitely be stressful to deal with. You are probably anxious to concentrate on your healing and move on with your life. If you hire a medical malpractice lawyer, he or she will know how to speed up legal proceedings and help you get a settlement much sooner.