107 E Eureka Ave, #1
Eureka, IL 61530
121 N Main St
Bloomington, IL 61701
309-467-3213 schedule consultation
schedule consultation

Illinois Speeding Ticket FAQ

How much does a speeding ticket cost?

Did you know you could save money by fighting your Illinois speeding ticket with a Speeding ticket lawyer in Illinois? It’s possible, when you have the right speeding ticket lawyer on your side. Call Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols for an immediate consultation. 

If you have been stopped by police and given a speeding ticket in Illinois, you don’t have to admit guilt by paying the fee. Rather, it is your right to fight the ticket. By choosing to retain the help of a speeding ticket lawyer, you could benefit from many things including a reduction in the related fines, a decrease in penalties, less points on your driver’s license, or an avoidance of an insurance premium increase. 

At our firm, our speeding ticket lawyers have been utilizing our knowledge and experience into building strong defenses for a broad range of speeding ticket cases. Our due diligences has successfully helped thousands of clients, including those who thought they would lose their license. We are very good at what we do; hence, our reputation for being leading traffic ticket lawyers. 

How much does a speeding ticket in Illinois cost?

The cost of tickets in Illinois have increased in recent years. The hope is that higher fines will make people think twice about speeding. Currently the cost of tickets in Illinois are as follows:

  • 20 mph above the speed limit – $120
  • 21-30 mph above the speed limit – $140
  • More than 30 mph above the speed limit – $160
  • Running a red light – $120
  • Making an illegal turn – $120
  • DUI – $1500

Do I have to appear in court for a speeding ticket?

A standard Illinois speeding ticket generally does not carry with it a requirement that a person must appear in court. However, if that speeding ticket is for speed in excess of 15 mph over the limit or for failure to carry proof of insurance you may be required to appear in court.

How long will a speeding ticket stay on my driving record?

Speeding tickets and other moving violations such as running a red light will remain on your driving record for four to five years from the date of conviction. If the ticket is the basis for a suspension or revocation of your driving privileges then it will remain on your record for a minimum of seven years from the date that your privileges are reinstated.

What is court supervision?

Court supervision is an alternative to a conviction for a traffic violation. When a judge grants court supervision a person is placed under the court’s jurisdiction for a period of time ranging from 6 months to 2 years. In addition you may be required to pay a fine or attend traffic safety school or both. So long as you successfully complete the order of supervision a judgment of conviction on your ticket will not be entered and it will not appear on your driving record.

Am I eligible for court supervision?

Many people who receive a traffic ticket request court supervision. A judge is authorized to impose the disposition of court supervision in most situations. By law however judges are not allowed to grant court supervision in the following instances:

  • Speeding in a construction zone or school zone
  • Passing a school bus that is loading children
  • Second violation of driving without insurance
  • Second violation of displaying false evidence of insurance
  • Second violation of driving with registration suspended due to insurance violation
  • Certain offenses relating to truck and weight regulations

Can I get my license back after receiving a statutory summary suspension or having my license revoked?

If you have received a statutory summary suspension or otherwise had your license suspended or revoked you may be able to get your license back. Many times having an experienced attorney on your side who can lead you through the process will make a huge difference in your chances for success. Besides paying all of your fines and completing any court mandated counseling or other programs, you will have to travel to Springfield for a hearing. This hearing is your chance to present your case as to why the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office should reinstate your license.

Turn to Our Illinois Speeding Ticket Lawyers

Following a speeding ticket, we can discuss with you some potential options aside from pleading guilty and paying a fine. 

Potential Penalties for Speeding

  • Points on your driving record
  • Fines and court fees
  • Mandatory drivers education classes
  • An increase in insurance rates
  • Jail time (may be applicable when special circumstances apply; such as a DWI)

It is also possible to have to take time off work to attend your court hearings and DMV hearings. If you lose your license, you will also need to think about transportation options; otherwise, your job could be at risk. As a speeding ticket lawyer who understands the relevant laws, procedures, and protocols of the court, we are confident in what we do and will do our best to find a solution that is right for you. 

How We Can Help

By turning to Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols to help you with your traffic ticket case for speeding, or other violations, please know that we are on your side. Depending on your case, we may:

  • Seek to reduce the penalties,
  • Ask the judge to provide alternative sentencing options,
  • Request the offense to be dismissed; this is often possible when:
    • The traffic ticket officer did not show up in court,
    • You plead guilty to a lesser violation,
    • You comply with driver’s probation

Even if the ticket is dismissed, you may have to pay your fines and fees, as well as the cost of  a lawyer. To help you determine whether a lawyer is really worth it, ask yourself:

  • How much will my insurance increase?
  • How many points will I get on my license, and can I afford these points?
  • Is the total cost of the ticket, including insurance increases, more or less than what I will pay for a speeding ticket lawyer?

In general, if you find your ticket costs, and those associated with the ticket, are more than hiring a lawyer, you may want to call a speeding ticket lawyer. 

To consult a Woodford County Illinois speeding ticket lawyer at Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols in Eureka, IL about your speeding ticket contact us online or call 309-467-3213.


We are Members of

Joe Pioletti helped us win a case with a notorious realty, he was very honest and forthright about the terms of the case. He kept us up to date with the court date and made a great offer on our behalf. We received our settlement in a timely
matter as well! Take a chance with
Pioletti, you won’t regret it!



107 E Eureka Ave, #1
Eureka, IL 61530


24/7 live phone answering


121 N Main St
Bloomington, IL 61701


24/7 live phone answering


2 Dearborn Square #1D
Kankakee, IL 60901


24/7 live phone answering


1 W Old State Capitol Plz Ste 721
Springfield, IL 62701


24/7 live phone answering


401 Main St, Suite 103
Peoria, IL 61602-1241


24/7 live phone answering

Contact Us Today!