There are many things that you can do for yourself; however, it does not mean that doing them for yourself is in your best interest. In some things, you need to trust that someone with experience will be a better choice that yourself. For example, if you are facing a criminal charge, criminal defense attorneys do much more than just stand up in court and say a few words. A criminal defense lawyer works diligently to ensure that you are afforded all of the protections provided by our state and federal laws. He works to ensure that your constitutional rights are protected throughout the entire criminal process.
What Does My Criminal Defense Attorney Do For me?
Your criminal defense attorney knows the court and the laws that apply to your criminal charge. He uses his experience and knowledge to ensure that the justice system is treating you fairly and that your rights are protected throughout the process. Your attorney can do many things that you cannot simply because he has resources that may not be available to you. Furthermore, your attorney has knowledge that you do not possess because you do not deal with the justice system on a daily basis.
Examples of some of the things that a criminal defense attorney can do for you include:
- Explain the steps involved in a criminal charge and what is likely to happen, based on the facts of your case. This is important so that you can make an informed decision whether you should plea bargain or proceed to trial.
- Negotiate with the prosecution to reduce the charges and/or receive a lesser sentence or punishment for the criminal charges.
- Suggest and advocate for special rehabilitation and treatment programs as a means of sentencing that will help you overcome problems that cause you to be in trouble with the criminal justice system more than simply serving jail time.
- Explain complex legal theories and criminal laws that may difficult for a layperson (someone who does not work within the legal system) to understand.
- Educate you about courtroom procedures and customs that may help you as you appear before judges, prosecutors and jurors.
- Investigate the case including finding witnesses on your behalf, hiring expert witnesses if necessary, gathering physical evidence, examining the state’s evidence against you and ensure that your rights were not violated during the arrest process.
The most important thing that a criminal defense attorney can do for you is to make sure that you are treated fairly by the justice system. Even if you are guilty of the crime, you deserve to be treated fairly by the justice system. In most cases, you have a better chance at receiving a reduced charge and/or sentence when you have an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side. Your freedom is at risk; therefore, do everything you can to protect yourself including hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney.
Contact Our Office for a Consultation with an Experienced Illinois Criminal Defense Attorney
The attorneys of Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols represent individuals who need experienced criminal defense attorneys. Serving clients throughout McLean, Woodford, Tazewell and Peoria counties by providing compassionate, competent legal services. We offer free consultations. You can contact our office by calling 309-938-4838.
When you need the assistance of an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Central Illinois, call the compassionate and skilled attorneys of Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols. We are dedicated to giving our clients exceptional service and support.