Prenuptial Agreements Lawyer
Family Lawyer Bloomington IL
Making the decision to get married is an exciting time in a couple’s life. The festivities to follow will be filled with excitement and celebration. As you plan your life together, you might decide that you want a prenuptial agreement. This can be a delicate conversation to manage with your partner. However, with a prenuptial agreement, you can help protect your assets from the unexpected. A prenuptial agreement isn’t for everyone; you will really need to spend the time thinking over it and decide if drawing one up is in your best interest.
At Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols, we help couples in Bloomington IL understand the different aspects of a prenuptial agreement. We can draw up the agreement and and put the proper paperwork in order so that our clients can enjoy their engagement instead of worrying about legal problems.
What is a Prenuptial Agreement?
It is wise to sit down and outline the assets you own prior to your marriage. It’s an unfortunate truth that many marriages ultimately end in divorce. Having a prenuptial agreement can help make the divorce process easier and can protect your assets from your former partner. When faced with divorce, a prenuptial agreement can help resolve matters quickly. Without a prenuptial agreement, you may ultimately be required to share some of your wealth in a divorce. A prenuptial agreement (or prenup, for short) can even extend beyond divorce; it can also outline how assets should be divided in the event someone passes away.
Reasons A Couple May Choose a Prenup
Neglecting to discuss a prenuptial agreement with your partner can make the early days of engagement strained. You will want to make sure that you and your partner are on the same page regarding a prenuptial agreement from the start. There are a number of reasons a couple may choose to speak with a family lawyer about a prenuptial agreement:
- A prenuptial agreement can help save legal fees and can help move divorce proceedings along. This is because some assets will have already been sorted in a prenup.
- A prenuptial agreement can also ensure that a person obtains a settlement that is fair in the event of a divorce.
- If a marriage doesn’t work out, it can give you piece of mind knowing that you have a prenuptial agreement in place. This may make a person less likely to stay in a marriage that is unhealthy.
- It can outline the property and assets that each person is coming into the marriage with.
- A prenup can also ensure that neither individual is entering a marriage with intentions to divorce later — with half of the other person’s money.
Contact a Family Lawyer in Bloomington IL
You don’t have to be “wealthy” in order to benefit from a prenuptial agreement. At Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols, we help many couples draw up prenups simply because it makes them feel more secure. We offer legal services for all matters involving the family, and if a prenuptial agreement isn’t the right choice for yours, there may still be other legal avenues you can take.
To schedule a consultation with a family lawyer Bloomington IL residents know and trust, contact Pioletti Pioletti & Nichols today.